Saturday, August 6, 2011

Initial Wall Art Tutorial



I made some wall art for some of my nephews recently, and decided to share how I did it :-)

You will need:

12" x 12" framed canvas (I picked up mine from Big W for about $5)
Sheet of Scrapbook paper
Mod Podge
Acrylic Paint - I used black and white
Assorted paint application tools - I used a roller, a paintbrush and a foam brush for the Mod Podge
Craft wood Letter (I found mine a Lincraft during a sale, they have them at Bunnings too)


Step 1 - Paint the top and edges canvas - I painted mine black as I was using dark colour scrapbook paper. If using a light colour you could just leave it white or paint it a matching colour. Here are my assistants painting the canvas ;-) Tip - Using a roller gives you much more even coverage.


Step 2 - Paint your letter. I used white to paint my letter. Again you can choose whatever colour you like. I had to give mine a couple of coats to get it looking nice.


Leave both the canvas and the letter dry for a couple of hours.

Step 3
Attach your scrapbook paper to your canvas with Mod Podge.

Allow the first coat to dry. Try to remove as many bubbles as you can!

Step 4

Cover the canvas and paper with a coat of Mod Podge. Don't forget the sides!

Allow time to dry.

Step 5

Use the Mod Podge to glue your letter into the centre of the canvas


Again, allow time to dry.

Step 6

Finish with another coat (or two) of Mod Podge all over, allowing drying time between coats.




And there you have it! A nice, simple decoration for a boy's room :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment