Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Bapron

What is a Bapron? Simply, a baby apron :-) I found this tutorial on Craftiness is not Optional the other day, and thought it would be perfect to make for my 1 year old, who insists on feeding himself :-) It has more coverage than your average bib, and is a little harder for Mr 1yr old to take it off. I used a plastic "table bib" that my dad had picked up somewhere for free and cut it up to make this (and 3 other baprons). I lined the back with a "vintage" sheet (ie I picked it up from an op shop), and made my own bias tape using a Birch bias tape maker I received for my birthday (an awesome sewing tool). The tutorial uses fabric and flannel for their baprons, but I wanted something I could wipe clean (and could keep off beet root stains!). Oilcloth or any other laminated fabric would probably work well too.

And here's an action shot :-)

Monday, May 23, 2011

Easter bunnies

I know its a while after Easter, but this little Easter bunny has been a little slow to take photos...

I saw quite a few versions of this tutorial before Easter, and decided to share the marshmallow bunny love with my two boys.

I ended up using a cream fleece remnant I thrifted from my mum's stash. I learned a couple of things... firstly to draw a line when doing embroidery so that the words are straight... and pinning is essential to keep everything straight. I was rushing to get these done before Easter and so I left out the pinning. But they turned out quite good (albeit a little twisty) and the boys love them, which is the most important thing!

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Champion Cargos - pattern by Make it Perfect

My boys both recently needed new pants to wear to church, so I pulled out the Make it Perfect book that I received for Christmas and found the "perfect" pattern - the Champion Cargos pattern.

The first pair I made were in an olive coloured drill that I had managed to snag on clearance at Spotlight one day. These are size 3.

The second pair I've just finished are in a size 0 for my 12 month old (and there is plenty of room). I made these using some corduroy I picked up at an op shop. I probably wouldn't make these pants out of cord again (unless maybe it was a microcord or something) because when it came to sew the waistband I was sewing through 4 layers of corduroy at the pockets and my sewing machine didn't particularly like it, even when using my denim needle.

I love how these turned out - and how they look just that little bit dressier without having to try and figure out how to do a zip fly!

Saturday, May 21, 2011

A few more cards...

We've had a few birthdays recently in the extended family. Oh and Mother's Day :-) Here's my latest card-making attempts:

Got Treats stamp set, Melon Mambo, Whisper White and Basic Black cardstock, Cupcakes wheel, Versamark and Melon Mambo ink, Rhinestone Brads, Dazzling Diamonds glitter and gingham ribbon I picked up at my local scrapbook store (which is now unfortunately closed)

Occasional greetings stamp set, Dinosaurs die set by Cuttlebug, Bold Brights assorted cardstock (retired), Crystal effects.

Dragon stamp by Snag 'Em Stamps, Crazy for Cupcakes stamp set (for greeting), stars embossing folder, Dazzling Diamonds glitter, Bold Brights markers and cardstock, Staz On ink.

I know black, red and white is a bit unusual for a mother's day card, but I really like the way these turned out.

Basic Black, Whisper White and Real Red cardstock, Real Red and Garden Green markers, Real Red and Basic Black ink, sponges, Square Lattice embossing Folder, Pocket Silhouettes and Occasional Greetings stamp sets, Riding Hood Red taffeta ribbon (retired)


A couple of weeks ago (after trying to get together all year! :-D) two of my sisters-in-law came over for a sewing class where I taught them how to shirr. I was so nervous before they came over, because I'm really bad at trying to teach people (I would love to improve in that area - I love sharing techniques and ideas with others but just can't get the words out coherently!). But I shouldn't have worried, because they picked up the technique beautifully :-)

Here's what we made :-) My dress is on the left, G's dress for her 6 year old is in the middle and L's dress for her 6 month old is on the right. (sorry about the dark pic - it turned out to be a really cloudy afternoon...). And then my SIL's went further with the shirring... G figured out how to make shirred sleeves for the dress (I had never been able to figure it out before!). And then...

L made this gorgeous shirred headband and sewed on some felt flowers that I cut out using my Big Shot die cutting machine. The shirring technique is so easy and there are plenty of tutorials around to show you how. I'm glad I was able to share this skill with others and help them to enjoy sewing.